Don’t set unrealistic goals; move the holiday bar a little lower but stay disciplined.
- Corinne Brown
Cor’s Ten Tips for a Healthier Holiday Season
Here’s something I get asked about all the time, especially during the holiday season. This can be a difficult time to stay on course with your diet and your fitness routine. Here are ten recommendations that can help:
1. Never go to a party hungry! Always have a good source of protein before you leave home.
2. Hydrate! And do it with water; no sweet drinks, black coffee, or black tea.
3. Don’t grab chips and a drink upon arrival; Scope for something healthier and start your grazing there.
4. If you’re drinking adult beverages, be sure they’re a non-sweetened cocktail or wine and alternate a glass of water with each alcoholic drink.
5. Offer to bring a dish and make it a healthy one! Guacamole with celery, endive, cucumbers, and carrots is a great choice and crowd pleaser. Or bring a roasted veggie in olive oil with salt and pepper – no heavy sauces!
6. Try to avoid desserts or keep your indulgence to a small taste.
7. Don’t set unrealistic goals; move the holiday bar a little lower but stay disciplined.
8. Do not miss your gym time! Holidays obligations can be stressful and demanding, so if you need to change a workout time, do it. But do not skip classes or training. If you absolutely can’t get to the gym, at least go for a walk, preferably with family and good friends, and discuss what’s happening; you’ll be surprised how talking about life, food, and family makes you even more committed to staying on track.
9. Treat yourself to a massage, a facial, or a hair treatment. It will help you relax and feel better about yourself.
10. Get yourself organized before the Holidays. If you’re entertaining, start planning your meals now. Shop early and wrap gifts as you purchase them; this will enable you to enjoy your time with friends and family.
And have a happy, healthy, and prosperous Holiday Season
Please email me at email@example.com to share your thoughts or ask questions.
About the Author
Corinne Brown is a fitness professional with over 40 years of experience. She is the Founder and Owner of Fitness Incentive.