Zumba is a class that takes the “work” out of working out
- Victoria Calderone
Zumba – you’ve heard of it before but are not really sure what the hype is all about? Zumba is a class that takes the “work” out of workout by mixing low-intensity and high-intensity moves for an interval-style, calorie-burning dance fitness party. Once the music starts to take over, you’ll see why Zumba Fitness classes are often called “exercise in disguise.”
Here are 10 reasons to give Zumba a try!
1. It’s never boring! The playlist for this Zumba class is a blend of traditional Latin as well as upbeat pop, hip-hop, and more!
2. It tones the whole body. Zumba is excellent for the core, as it involves a lot of hips, lower back, and abdominal strengthening. Squats strengthen the thighs while dancing on the balls of your feet sculpts definition into your calves and glutes. And hand-weights tone the muscles in the arms, upper back and shoulders.
3. It’s a mood booster. An hour of Zumba will leave you feeling energized and less stressed. Dancing to music makes you happy! If you’re feeling sad or low on energy, you won’t anymore after the class is over.
4. Torch calories. This 60-minute class burns up to 600 calories, depending on your level of exertion. The class is choreographed to provide intervals of intensity for maximized fat-burning benefits!
5. No previous dance experience required! These dance moves are easy to learn but can be physically challenging. Even if you think you are uncoordinated or can’t dance, you’ll find that you can pick it up quickly and dive right into the routines.
6. It’s adaptable for any fitness level. You can turn this class way up or down depending on your ability – the moves are easy to modify to your comfort zone.
7. You can participate with friends – or meet new ones! Having a workout buddy to hold you accountable will help you stay on track with your fitness goals, and there’s a good chance you’ll meet a classmate (or two) with similar goals.
8. Boost confidence. Zumba will help you gain a greater sense of self-confidence and a feeling of independence after just a few weeks.
9. Your brain gets a workout, too. Regularly practicing Zumba will improve cognitive function, memory, alertness, and concentration.
10. You can sleep in. Victoria’s Zumba class is on Sunday’s at 11:30am in the aerobics studio.
Come join the party!
About the Author
Victoria Calderone is a Certified Personal Trainer and Group Exercise Instructor at Fitness Incentive.