BEACH BODY EDITION 2019
On your mark, get set, go! The Fantastic Four Beach Body Challenge 2019 is coming. Teams will form, workouts will be scheduled, fat and inches will be shed – all in preparation for the sun, sand, and warm weather. Scroll down for details and get ready to sweat!
Enrollment: Monday, February 18th through Monday, March 8th
Initial Assessments: March 8th – 10th by appointment.
(You will schedule your assessments when you sign up.)
Team Training: March 11th – May 17th
Ending Assessments: May 17th – May 19th (also by appointment.)
Awards Party: May 23rd 8-11pm, Post Office Cafe, Babylon.
This year we are using the InBody Body Composition Scanner to perform the assessments. InBody is the latest, most cutting-edge assessment tool available. In less than a minute, InBody changes the way you see yourself. It’s the device that looks right through you and delivers in-depth, comprehensive analysis data like no other assessment method. In this contest, we will be scoring contestants using two primary measurements and a formula provided by InBody for scoring. The key components are:
• Lean Body Mass (Goal: maintain or increase)
• Body Fat Mass (Goal: decrease)
For the most accurate results, the following guidelines should be observed:
• Hydrate well the day before
• Do not drink caffeine on the day of your test
• Do not eat for 3-4 hours prior to testing
• Do not exercise 6-12 hours prior to testing
• Do not take InBody Test after a shower or sauna
• Do not consume alcohol for 24 hours prior to testing
• Ensure access to both feet with removable footwear (no socks or pantyhose)
• Do not wear jewelry- all jewelry will have to be removed prior to testing
• Measure after standing for at least 5 minutes
• For females, avoid having measurement during menstrual period as total body water will be higher than normal
Individuals with pacemakers or other electronic medical devices should not take the InBody assessment.
We will test you twice, once at the beginning of the contest to establish your initial measurements, and then at the end of the contest to determine your improvement. We will then compare the starting measurements to your ending measurements, and, using a proprietary InBody scoring algorithm, determine your score. We will use the same process to score each team.
The formula we will use is called AWS, or Adjusted Weight System, which considers initial weight, lean body mass change, and body fat mass change all in one formula. The final score number is a percentage, the higher the better.
Using the following InBody measurements:
Initial Lean Body Mass (LBM): 150.4
Initial Body Fat Mass (BFM): 70.4
Final LBM: 153.9
Final BFM: 35.0
If you plug these numbers into the AWS formula, the final score is 57%.
The higher the percentage, the higher the placement. This formula also works for both genders, all fitness levels, and all body types as well, to ensure everyone has a fair shot at winning.
If You Really Want to Know: AWS Formula
File this under more information than you probably need, but here’s the actual formula for those who are interested:
From the basic measurements, we compute the following values for the formula:
- Initial LBM %: Initial LBM/Initial Weight
- Lean Score: Final LBM – Initial LBM
- Fat Score: Initial BFM – Final BFM
These variables are then applied in the following formula:
Initial LBM % * ((7.5*(Lean score) + 4.5 *(Fat score)) / Initial Weight = Your Score
Some advantages to this formula:
Because it is more difficult to add (or maintain) Lean Body Mass then it is to reduce Body Fat Mass (which usually can be accomplished through caloric restriction), the formula gives more weight to building or maintaining lean mass than it does to losing body fat. To gain muscle, you must:
1. Sleep well
2. Get enough proteins
3. Drink a lot of water
4. Have good hormone profile (normal or elevated testosterone)
5. Good workout program
6. Eat enough fat (for hormones)
7. Eat in a caloric surplus
Adjustment for Fitness Level
Because it is harder for a fit individual to change their body composition, the raw score is multiplied by the Percent Lean Mass at the initial weigh in. This means that an individual that is 70% LBM (30% Body Fat) is expected to make more positive changes than an individual that is 90% LBM (10% Body Fat).
Adjustment for Body Type
Finally, the score is then divided by the Total Weight at weigh into account for differences in body type. For example, a 250 lb individual would need to make more positive changes than an individual that weighs 120 lbs.
Note: We use these scoring methods in this contest instead of weight loss because not all weight loss is equal. We are seeking to encourage healthy, sustainable weight loss through the loss of body fat while emphasizing the retention or increase of lean mass (muscle). We are confident that the InBody device, along with the AWS scoring system will provide the best contest scoring to date.
Prizes: Over 50,000 Reward Points were awarded in the 2018 Contest!
If you haven’t already, download Fitness Incentive Mobile App! You can get it right here:
The prizes in this year’s contest will again be awarded as “Reward Points” in the App. The total amount of prizes depends on the number of participants in the contest. The prizes are awarded to the top teams (Female, Male, Co-Ed) and individuals. Additional surprise challenges and prizes will also be awarded. There are lots of points to be had, so be sure to get the app.
$700 for members
$850 for non-members
(non-member price includes a two-month membership)
The cost can be paid in full or 3 installments:
Due at time of purchase – $344.08 (nonmembers 394.08)
Payments due on 4/1 and 5/1 – $177.96 (nonmembers $227.96) Billed directly to your credit card or direct debited to your bank account.
The contest fee includes all personal training sessions (20), assessments (2), contest t-shirt and the post-contest awards party.
There are a few simple rules:
- No Fitness Incentive fitness professionals (instructors or trainers) can participate in the contest. (Other FI staff may participate)
- No relatives of trainers can can train with the trainer that they are related to. No exceptions. Any relative that is discovered to have done so will be disqualified.
- Participants will be required to show a proof of identification (such as a drivers license) that shows your date of birth.
If you’re interested in joining the 2019 Fit for Summer Beach Body Challenge, here’s what you should do:
1. If it’s your first contest, or if you have questions about this one, stop by the front desk. They’re ready to help.
2. Stop by the Desk to Register! You’ll need to make your initial down payment. If you prefer to pay in two installments, the second installment will be billed to your account. Registration ends 3/7, but teams often fill up quickly, so don’t hesitate if you’re interested.
3. Pick a trainer and join a team! If you know who you’d like to train with, just let us know when you sign up. If you’re unsure – and many are – let us know your schedule, availability and training goal and we’ll find a team and trainer for you.